Skull & Roses Announces Rescheduled Festival Dates, ‘Virtual Beach Party Weekend’ Webcasts

first_imgAfter its initial postponement announcement last month, California’s Skull & Roses Festival has announced an official reschedule for April 8th-11th, 2021.The festival was originally slated to occur this weekend (April 2nd–5th) at Ventura, CA’s Ventura County Fairgrounds, but was one of the many live music events affected by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Instead of trying to hash out new dates in the fall with the uncertainty of the state of live events being better, organizers of Skull & Roses felt it was best to allow a full year to fully prepare for one of the world’s biggest celebrations of the music of the Grateful Dead.Original purchases of 2020 festival tickets and camping passes will be honored for the new dates in 2021, and fans who keep their 2020 orders will receive a $20 merch booth credit to use during the rescheduled festival. Read the festival’s official statement here.Since fans now have a solid year to prepare and anticipate for the 2021 festival, Skull & Roses is hosting a virtual beach party this Friday (4/3) and Saturday (4/4) via the festival’s Facebook. Fans can expect an at-home live stream concert series of a lineup of live performances by Reed Mathis (Billy & The Kids), Scott Guberman (Stu Allen & Mars Hotel), Roger McNamee & Jason Crosby (Moonalice), Zach Nugent (Disco Dead), Richard James (Pink Talking Fish), Nate LaPointe (Cubensis), Halina Janusz & Garrett Deloian (Jerry’s Middle Finger), Mark Fisher (Electric Waste Band), Michael Berkey (The Alligators), a drop in from No Simple Road podcast and more.Head to the official Facebook event for a full schedule of Friday and Saturday’s virtual beach party starting at 5 p.m. PST. For more information on Skull & Roses, head to the festival’s website.last_img read more

Read More »

Global measles outbreaks make 2019 a record-setting year

first_imgMeasles continues to spread in global outbreaks, with the first 6 months of 2019 producing more measles cases than any year since 2006, the World Health Organization (WHO) said in a new report on measles activity in the first half of 2019.Between Jan 1 and Jul 31, 2019, 182 countries reported 364,808 measles cases to the WHO. During the same period last year, 129,239 measles cases were reported from 181 countries. These cases represent a 10-fold increase in the WHO’s African region, a twofold increase in the European region, and a threefold increase in the Western Pacific Region.”There have been almost three times as many cases reported to date in 2019 as there were at this same time last year,” the WHO said. “This follows successive yearly increases since 2016, indicating a concerning and continuing upsurge in the overall measles burden worldwide.”Countries reporting the most measles activity include Ukraine, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), and Madagascar. Angola, Cameroon, Chad, Kazakhstan, Nigeria, Philippines, South Sudan, Sudan, and Thailand are also reporting major outbreaks.Most of those countries are seeing outbreaks because they have very low vaccination rates, the WHO said. But even countries with high vaccine coverage are seeing more measles activity.”The United States has reported its highest measles case count in 25 years. In the WHO European region, there have been close to 90,000 cases reported for the first six months of this year: this exceeds those recorded for the whole of 2018 (84,462) – already the highest in this current decade,” WHO said.In the United States, current measles outbreaks have been linked to international travel and travelers from Israel, the Philippines, and Ukraine.Measles is so contagious it requires a high community level vaccination rate – 95% – to prevent sustained transmission. The measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) vaccine is effective and widely available as part of national vaccination programs.But globally, WHO estimates only 86% children have received the first dose of measles vaccine and 69% the second in 2019.US tracks 10 more casesIn its weekly update on measles outbreaks in the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recorded 10 new cases, raising 2019’s total to 1,182. Thirty states have recorded cases thus far this year.As of Aug 8, 124 of the people who got measles this year were hospitalized, and 64 reported having complications, including pneumonia and encephalitis, the CDC said.More than 75% of the United States’ cases come from large outbreaks in New York state and New York City. Currently, the CDC is tracking five outbreaks (three or more cases) in Texas, California, Washington state, and New York.Late last week, health officials reported that five cases of measles have been confirmed within a Mennonite community in Wyoming County, New York. None of the five people had been vaccinated against measles.Wyoming County officials are currently investigating possible exposure sites. The outbreak will likely become New York State’s third active outbreak in 2019. The other two outbreaks have taken place in Orthodox Jewish communities.In June Governor Andrew Cuomo signed a law ending all nonmedical exemptions for vaccines required for children to attend all public, private, and parochial schools as well as childcare programs across New York.See also:Aug 12 WHO report  Aug 12 CDC updateAug 8 Wyoming Country press releaselast_img read more

Read More »

E-conveyancing venture names new chief

first_imgThe Law Society-backed joint venture developing the Veyo electronic conveyancing system has appointed a new chief executive with a brief to review and evaluate the product.Simon Drane, executive director of business development for the Law Society, takes over today at Legal Practice Technologies. Ian Gray, chairman, said: ‘We are committed to ensuring that Veyo will meet conveyancers’ expectations. Because of this we will only fully launch the product when we are satisfied that it is working well and will add value to the conveyancing process.’Gray added that ‘the first job for any new CEO is to review and evaluate the product. This will identify what needs to be done to make Veyo available to conveyancers as soon as we are satisfied that it has the functions and usability to be a market leader.’A Law Society spokesperson said: ‘We are excited about the development of Veyo. We know from the conveyancing community that it is a good concept and will save conveyancers time and money.‘Simon will be reviewing and evaluating Veyo with a view to launching it when the product has right level of functionality and is easy to use. There is still a considerable demand for Veyo.’last_img read more

Read More »

Monjasa completes first Ship-to-Ship Supply of new 0.5% Sulphur Marine Fuel

first_imgThe bunker industry will play a key role in enabling the near-future transition towards more environmentally friendly marine fuel products. Both when it comes to the overall availability landscape of the new products and logistical flexibility to supply more bunker types. GROUP COO, SVEND STENBERG MØLHOLT: “Cleaning up our first tanker and supplying the new 0.5% product is a milestone for Monjasa. During this first supply, we learned more about the handling and specifications of VLSFO, to conclude that on-board operational expertise and detailed product knowledge is needed to enable a successful transition for the industry. We have been preparing thoroughly for this moment and we are ready to support this transition and keep global trade moving come 2020.”          The demand is already building up and the first supplies are now taking place. Emissions As part of Monjasa’s bunker operations from Portland Port in the English Channel, the Monjasa operated tanker, Vinga Safir, went alongside the Ro-Ro Cargo Ship, Hurst Point, in Southampton on 29 August and supplied VLSFO and MGO 0.1%. Monjasa recently announced the acquisition of five tankers ahead of IMO 2020, and the company will take full ownership of sourcing, shipping and supply of VLSFO in the following areas. Next step for Monjasa is to build on this experience and roll out VLSFO supplies on a global scale. MONJASA MAKING VLSFO AVAILABLE GLOBALLY Author: Sue Terpilowski West AfricaVLSFO will be made available across the region from the Gulf of Guinea to Namibia via the Monjasa operated SKS Darent (120,000 dwt), which serves as floating storage off Lome, Togo. Several of Monjasa’s 10 regionally deployed tankers are expected to supply low-sulphur products come 2020.Northwest EuropeStorage of VLSFO at Monjasa’s oil terminals in Portland Port, UK and Skaw, Denmark. A total of three Monjasa tankers are deployed in Northwest Europe.Panama CanalConfirmed local storage of VLSFO and supply operations with three Monjasa vessels, incl. the newly acquired tanker, Accra, in Balboa. One tanker is deployed in Cristobal.Arabian GulfSourcing VLSFO in Fujairah, three Monjasa operated tankers will be making VLSFO available across port areas in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah and in the Gulf of Oman. Years of preparation for the upcoming IMO 2020 regulations was condensed into Monjasa’s first ship-to-ship supply of the new bunker fuel with a maximum 0.5% sulphur content. The operation was completed in Southampton, UK and included supply of VLSFO and MGO. 5 September 2019last_img read more

Read More »

Jonathan Wallace taking practice snaps at QB

first_imgJonathan Wallace, who started the final four games of the 2012 season, is taking practice snaps as Auburn's third-team quarterback.Jonathan Wallace, who started the final four games of the 2012 season, is taking practice snaps as Auburn’s third-team quarterback.AUBURN — Jonathan Wallace appears to be back to taking snaps at both wide receiver and quarterback.Auburn coach Gus Malzahn confirmed Saturday Wallace was taking occasional practice snaps at quarterback. The comments of the Tigers third-year head coach could be interpreted as he was describing a contingency basis if an injury were to occur to projected starter Jeremy Johnson and backup Sean White.“(Wallace) is a guy that has played in game situations that does understand this offense,” Malzahn said. “This time of year sometimes you got to be thinking in the season, the what-ifs. What if this happens? What if that happens?Wallace met with the media for the first and only time on Aug. 12 and the senior made no mention of taking snaps at his former position. Wallace has spent the spring and preseason camp trying to win a contributing slot wide receiver spot on the first or second-team unit.“I’ve transitioned this past spring and now it is just a matter of going out and executing every day, showing the coaches they can trust me,” Wallace said. “It’s a trust deal. Coach Malzahn has set the tone for that. They have to count on us to execute out there, give great effort. If we can’t get that done, we can’t play. That’s the bottom line. That’s where that stands. I’m getting there.”Wallace has played sparingly in 21 games at quarterback in his three seasons in a backup role. The 6-foot-2, 214-pound athlete from Phenix City has accounted 962 yards of total offense in his previous three seasons but hasn’t attempted more than one pass in a game in either of the last two seasons. Walace started the final four games of his true freshman season, winning two of those contests but was shown to be ineffective in losses to Georgia and Alabama where the combined score was 87-0.“It’s just kind of like that security blanket,” Malzahn said. “He’s responded well. He’s a senior. He can do both without it taking away, so we’re starting to give him some snaps.”last_img read more

Read More »