She’s Got Class! Tony Winner Bebe Neuwirth to Return to Broadway’s Chicago as Matron ‘Mama’ Morton

first_img The revival of Chicago currently stars Bianca Marroquin as Roxie Hart, Amra-Faye Wright as Velma Kelly, Ryan Silverman as Billy Flynn, Tony nominee Christopher Fitzgerald as Amos Hart and R. Lowe as Mary Sunshine. Set in the 1920s, Chicago follows Roxie Hart, a housewife and nightclub dancer who murders her on-the-side lover. Desperate to avoid conviction, she hires Billy Flynn, Chicago’s slickest criminal lawyer, much to the dismay of her rival cellmate Velma Kelly. Directed by Walter Bobbie, the Tony-winning revival is now in its 17th year. When you’re good to mama…she’ll come back home! Two-time Tony winner Bebe Neuwirth will return to the Tony-winning revival of Chicago as Matron “Mama” Morton. Beginning on January 14, 2014, Neuwirth will take over the role of the corrupt warden from Roz Ryan, who will return to the hit production for one week, January 6 through 12. The role of Matron “Mama” Morton is currently being played by Carol Woods. View Comments Neuwirth won a 1997 Tony Award for her portrayal of jazz-age killer Velma Kelly and returned ten years later as merry murderess Roxie Hart. She also received a Tony for her performance in 1986’s Sweet Charity. Neuwirth’s other Broadway credits include The Addams Family, Fosse, A Chorus Line, Little Me, Dancin’ and Damn Yankees. Her film and TV credits include her two-time Emmy Award-winning performance as Dr. Lilith Sternin in Cheers and Frasier, Wild Palms, Dash and Lily, Law & Order: Trial by Jury, Bored to Death, Green Card, Summer of Sam, Celebrity, Liberty Heights, Bugsy, Jumanji, The Faculty, Adopt a Sailor, The Paint Job and Fame. Star Filescenter_img Chicago from $49.50 Related Shows Bebe Neuwirthlast_img read more

Read More »

Regulators fine GMP for wind project noise violations

first_imgGreen Mountain Power Corp,by John Herrick vtdigger.org(link is external) Green Mountain Power will be required to constantly monitor sound coming from wind turbines, which could provide the most detailed assessment yet of a noise issue concerning some residents living near wind farms. The Vermont Public Service Board fined the utility $1,000 last week for exceeding sound limits it placed on the Kingdom Community Wind farm, which was approved in 2011. In place of a larger civil penalty, regulators asked the utility to implement a continuous sound-monitoring program for one year. Regulators said it will cost the utility approximately $109,000 to implement the department’s proposal. The board said GMP cannot recover these costs from ratepayers.The utility is required under its certificate of public good to keep the noise level at the 63-megawatt wind project on Lowell Mountain below 45 decibels on average over one hour outside nearby homes. Regulators determined the company violated the sound limits in winter of late 2012 and early 2013. GMP says the sound violations were caused by snow buildup on the turbine blades.Anti-GMP signs are outside a house at the foot of the access road leading to the turbine site. Photo by Andrew Stein/VTDiggerThe company has since installed cameras and weather-monitoring equipment to detect snow accumulation on the blades. Since GMP installed this equipment, no other violations have been reported.The Department of Public Service this spring drafted a continuous sound-monitoring proposal, which Green Mountain Power supports and has agreed to implement. Regulators determined it would be “more constructive” to require the utility to implement this plan rather than pay a larger monetary penalty.Vermonters for a Clean Environment, a group opposing the wind project, told the board the methodology of the sound monitoring proposal is flawed and the experts hired to assist its implementation have developed projects that have caused complaints from neighbors about noise.Public Service Commissioner Chris Recchia said the details of the proposal are still being worked out, but it would be “scientifically based and rigorous.” He said the department does not know when the plan will be implemented.The department is still evaluating the order and has the option to ask the board to reconsider it, he said.GMP spokesperson Dotty Schnure said the company has collected 10,934 total hours of sound monitoring data, and has exceeded the regulatory limit for four hours. She said GMP is committed to operating the wind project within its permit requirements.She said GMP shuts down the wind turbines when weather causes ice or snow accumulation. She said this has always been part of the company’s operating procedure.The utility again announced on Tuesday it had met noise standards for the latest reporting period from August 20 to Sept. 9. The utility hired the research firm(RSG) to conduct the report, and critics say the studies are not scientific because they discard data when wind speeds are high near recording microphones and during certain precipitation events.The department’s proposal requires noise sensitive receptors, or microphones, to be placed around residents homes with direct exposure to the turbine noise. A second microphone would be shielded from the turbines to measure background noise, which is used to control for other noises in the area.The data will be collected continuously and downloaded for review, according to the proposal. The data would then be summarized for monthly reports. The acoustical consulting firm hired by the department, Acentech Inc., drafted the proposal.Outgoing board member John Burke said in his dissent he would have preferred a substantial fine be imposed on GMP and would not have ordered the continuous monitoring.“While the only winner then would have been the State’s general fund, all the parties would begin to realize that working on noise issues is important and that more is gained by working together than by the “my way or the highway” attitude that appears to have prevailed here,” he said.Burke said no matter what data results from this monitoring, it will likely be criticized and its ultimate value will be diminished, in his opinion.Annette Smith, executive director of Vermonters for a Clean Environment, does not support the methodology outlined in the department’s sound monitoring proposal. She also said the firms hired by the department have a history in designing wind projects that have caused harmful noise.Wind proponents say studies show wind turbine noise does not cause harm, but some residents in Vermont say turbines interfere with sleep and cause nausea.last_img read more

Read More »

Wrenbridge founder’s eastern test of Endurance

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Read More »

The Matteo’s Browns beat

first_img Related TopicsCleveland BrownsMatteo’sRG III BEREA, Ohio – There is no denying that the Browns first team offense looked great last night. RGIII looked back to the form of his incredible rookie season as he threw for 2 touchdowns and 96 yards in just a little over a quarter of action.Terrelle Pryor continues to establish himself as a deep threat down the field. They will look for him to replace the deep threat they lost when Travis Benjamin left in Free Agency earlier this offseason. Pryor, looked sharp as he caught a 50 yard touchdown bomb in the first quarter.One small concern is the defense and secondary which continue to look shaky giving up large chunks of yards on the ground and in the air.Speaking of large chunks, you will get the largest chunks of flavor, value and service at Northeast Ohio’s premier Italian restaurant “Matteo’s”.Chef Tony is at it again with some great specials for this weekend.Chef Tony’s first weekend special is a Chicken Marsala. Sauteed chicken with a wild mushroom Marsala sauce over papardelleHis second special feature is Salmon a la Grecco. Sauteed salmon on a bed of ancini de peppe with black olives, grape tomatoes, goat cheese, and a lemon vinaigrette.Seats are filling up fast so click here to reserve your table today! http://www.matteoscleveland.com/ Vince McKeelast_img read more

Read More »

Sisco’s demotion latest head-scratching development for Orioles

first_imgHours after Chance Sisco was originally penciled into Sunday’s lineup, the Orioles sent the 23-year-old catcher to Triple-A Norfolk.It was a surprising announcement since manager Buck Showalter had just implied after the 10-4 win over Miami that Sisco was scratched due to being under the weather.“I’m afraid he’s coming down with [something],” Showalter said. “He hasn’t slept in two or three days. … Just talking to him before the game, his energy level. He was ready to go. Just didn’t think it was in his best interest with the off-day tomorrow, but we’ll see. A lot of factors. That was the principal one. He just hadn’t slept any. It’s hard enough to play this game when you have.”Sisco went from starting to being pulled from the lineup to being optioned to the minors in a little over six hours. Weird.To be clear, the rookie isn’t exactly having a great season and has numbers that would definitely warrant a demotion if the club were even remotely in contention. He’s batting just .218 with a .328 slugging percentage and has struck out a whopping 35.5 percent of the time, a rate not far from Chris Davis territory (37.6 percent). However, his .340 on-base percentage is third on the club behind only Manny Machado and Danny Valencia, and a number of others on this roster deserve to be jettisoned before Sisco if we’re basing this solely on performance on a last-place club.Sisco’s defense has been scrutinized throughout his professional career, and he had thrown out just one of the last 18 runners attempting to steal after surprisingly gunning down nine of the first 18 this season. His average pop time — the time from the moment the pitch hits the catcher’s mitt to the moment the ball reaches the fielder at the base a runner is attempting to steal — is still too slow and his arm strength lacking while his pitch-framing metrics also rank among the bottom catchers in the majors, according to Baseball Prospectus.His defense undoubtedly remains a work in progress, but bench coach John Russell is also regarded as a superb catching instructor to continue to oversee Sisco’s development at this level.The timing of this demotion doesn’t seem to make much sense for a club that is 30 games under .500 and going nowhere, but the Orioles are instead expected to summon the 32-year-old Caleb Joseph back to the majors. One could argue that Sisco might benefit from a mental break and a potential confidence boost playing for the Tides, but you won’t find a major league climate with less pressure from a competitive standpoint than Baltimore right now. He also spent his entire 2017 minor-league season with Norfolk, seemingly leaving little for him to prove at that level.What does he need to work on that can’t be done while continuing to play in Baltimore?The Orioles have used a catching carousel all season, going from the tandem of Joseph and Sisco to open the season to Sisco and Andrew Susac to Sisco and Austin Wynns to the current pair of Wynns and Joseph. Sisco’s demotion isn’t the end of the world nor does it mean the Orioles have soured on him to any great degree, but it does appear counterintuitive to what this season should be about the rest of the way.Odds & endsIn an already-lost season from a competitive standpoint, you’re left to look for moments such as hard-throwing rookie Tanner Scott striking out Justin Bour with a nasty slider to leave the bases loaded in the seventh inning of a four-run game on Sunday. Scott is averaging an impressive 12.5 strikeouts compared to 3.1 walks per nine innings this season. … Trey Mancini had been 4-for-50 with runners in scoring position this season before his RBI single in the third inning of Sunday’s win. He batted .340 in that department as a rookie. … Jonathan Schoop drew four walks during the Miami series after registering only seven over his first 47 games. You hope that increased level of patience is a sign of better things to come as the 2017 All-Star second baseman is batting just .212 with a .626 on-base plus slugging percentage. … Brad Brach pitched a scoreless eighth inning, but he issued a walk and is averaging 5.2 free passes per nine innings. He needs to get on a roll and cut down on the walks to improve his trade value. … Sunday marked the first time the Orioles enjoyed a lead of four or more runs since May 24 in Chicago. … The Orioles scored a combined 27 runs on Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. They scored a total of just 18 runs in 11 straight home losses between those holidays.last_img read more

Read More »

Unsanitary meat practices unearthed at Linden Market

first_img… Mayor denies ever receiving letter from RDCLinden Mayor Carwyn Holland has denied ever receiving a letter from Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice) Chairman Renis Morian, regarding the alleged unsanitary means of handling meat by some vendors at the Mackenzie Market in Linden, Region 10.Recently, reports had surfaced of the alleged unsanitary practices, as Councillors within the Regional Democratic Council (RDC) had begun to voice numerous concerns over the issue at various statutory meetings. However, when the concerns were raised, the Regional Chairman would state that he would haveLinden Mayor Carwyn Hollandwritten to the Linden Mayor and Town Council (LM&TC) on the issue, since themunicipality is responsible for overseeing such practices within the market area.Morian, during the most recent meeting had even promised to re-write the LM&TC on the issue. The Mayor has however stated that no such letter was received.“Never received nor seen a letter from the RC (Regional Chairman) on the subject but the administration is however looking into the report,” Holland told Guyana Times on Wednesday. Holland said despite this, the Council has been working to ensure that such practices do not occur.Regional Councillor Gordon Callendar had stressed recently that despite the voicing of concerns over what the Council has described as the unsanitary means of transporting meat at the Mackenzie Market, the practice has since continued.At the most recent statutory meeting of the Council, he had sought to inquire if the region’s health department is monitoring the activities and if discussions for theRegion 10 Chairman Renis Morianproposed abattoir in the region were progressing.“We’ve been talking about the unsanitary conditions and the way how meat is being transported in Region 10, especially on the market areas… but this thing still continue. The handling of the meat on the market still continues as the normal practice – in the wheelbarrows,” Callendar had stressed.He was however reminded by the Regional Chairman that the sanitary practices at the markets fall under the jurisdiction of the LM&TC.Morian said he will have the administration re-write the LM&TC in an effort to secure an update as it relates the monitoring of the activities, also pointing to the option to engage the Council in conversation.“We did talk with the Town Council before. We want to know what action has been taken so far… It’s the Council’s responsibility… a letter was sent to the Council. We have to send another letter to the Council asking what they’re doing because they haven’t responded to us,” the Regional Chairman had emphasised.GLDA responseIn response to the concerns, representatives of the Guyana Livestock Development Agency (GLDA) were expected to meet with officials of the Regional Health Committee, to discuss a proposal for the possibility of the construction of an abattoir in the region, Chairman of the Committee; Councillor, Dr Gregory Harris had indicated. The plans came on the heels of several complaints made by Councillors and officials of the RDC. Dr Harris had disclosed that the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the GLDA had later made contact with the region’s Health Committee regarding the proposal. It is however unclear what is the status of the discussions.Dr Harris had also pointed out that the Committee also had a discussion with the health workers at the Town Council and that a spot for the proposed abattoir was expected to be identified. He said a recommendation was made sometime last year to set up a monitoring unit along the Linden Soesdyke Highway, explaining that he had proposed for a system to be implemented whereby meat coming into the region could be monitored. Nevertheless, he said an Environmental Officer would usually carry out sanitary checks at various butcher shops in the Linden community. Callender was one of the Councillors who had brought the issue of unsanitary practices by vendors of meat to the fore; an issue which he stated needed to be urgently addressed.Councillor Tracy Johnson had also called for the monitoring of butcher shops in the community, with Morian pointing out that it was necessary for public health workers to do the necessary work, as he noted that years ago tuberculosis was detected in meat at Linden after an alarm was raised.last_img read more

Read More »