Family calls for Rochester police to be charged after Black man dies during mental health emergency while in custody

first_imgkali9/iStockBy IVAN PEREIRA, ABC NewsThe family of a Black man who died after Rochester, New York, police arrested him during a mental health emergency earlier this year is calling for charges after body camera footage showed officers pinning Daniel Prude on the ground and placing a bag over his head before he lost consciousness.Officers responded to a 911 call made by Prude’s family on March 23 after they said he was going through a mental health issue. The body camera footage first obtained by the Democrat and Chronicle on Wednesday showed several officers approach Prude, 41, who was naked and kneeling on the cold street.Prude appears in the video to comply with the officers’ orders and questions as they placed him in handcuffs. He began to shout and spit at the officers who then placed a spit bag over his head, the video showed.Three officers are then seen pushing Prude into the ground and pinning him while he continues to shout and spit and eventually vomit, according to the video and police report. Prude appears to go lifeless minutes later.An ambulance is later seen arriving and a paramedic attempts to do CPR before Prude is put on a stretcher and driven away. Prude died a week later and the Monroe County medical examiner declared his death a homicide due to “complications of asphyxia,” according to the preliminary autopsy report.Joe Prude, Daniel’s brother, called the incident “a full-fledged, ongoing cold-blooded murder,” during a news conference Wednesday and called for the officers to be charged for his death.“I placed a phone call for my brother to get help, not for my brother to get lynched,” he said.Joe Prude said that his brother was visiting from Chicago and was going through a mental health crisis. The police report said Joe Prude told officers his brother “was using drugs and was suicidal.”Joe Prude said he admitted his brother to a hospital for help hours before the incident, but Daniel Prude was released after a short time. Joe Prude added he told officers that his brother was not a threat to anyone but himself and asked them not to kill him.“They knew the mental distress he was in,” he told reporters.During an earlier news conference, Rochester Police Chief La’Ron Singletary said Wednesday that the officers involved in the incident have not been suspended and denied allegations that his office was trying to cover it up.“We took the investigation seriously since day one,” Singletary told reporters. “When the incident occurred on March 23 around 3 a.m. on Jefferson Avenue, that morning I ordered a criminal investigation and internal investigation.”He said the investigation was transferred to the state attorney general’s office, which is the protocol in New York anytime a person is killed while in custody.Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren called the video “disturbing” and said they are still waiting for Attorney General Letitia James’ office to give a report.“I know they are working on it and I know that our law and police department have been working with them to move this along,” Warren said at the news conference.James said in a statement that her office is actively investigating the incident.“As with every investigation, we will follow the facts of this case and ensure a complete and thorough examination of all relevant parties. We will work tirelessly to provide the transparency and accountability that all our communities deserve,” she said in the statement.Protesters demanded justice outside the Rochester police station Wednesday for Daniel Prude, who was killed two months before George Floyd died similarly during a filmed arrest in Minneapolis.“Who do you serve, who do you protect?” the protesters shouted at the police.Elliot Shields, the attorney representing the Prude family, said they intend to sue “everyone responsible for Daniel’s death.”“I watched the video with them and it was one of the most difficult experiences of my life watching the family react to seeing their brother and son murdered by RPD while other officers, paramedics and EMTs and no one granted him any basic humanity,” he said at a news conference.ABC News’ Rachel Katz and Cheryl Gendron contributed to this report.Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read More »

Safety is the core value: AIGA stages two electronic specialty gases safety seminars

first_imgSubscribe Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270.last_img

Read More »

State Puts Out List Of Oil Companies That Received Tax Credits Last Year

first_imgLast year, Lawmakers passed separate legislation ending the tax-credit program all together. These payments are being paid to the companies that were owed prior to the program ending. Story as aired: The state has been making minimum payments on that debt, which is up to $900 million as of this year. According to the memo the state is not expected to fully pay that off until 2025. FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享According to a report released from the Department of Revenue, on Friday, the state spent over $75 million last year, paying off tax credit payments owed to oil and gas companies for exploration in Alaska.center_img The cash-for-credits recipients used to be kept confidential. In 2016, the legislature passed HB 247, which requires the state to release an annual report of the companies that receive tax credits from the state. Repsol, a company working on the North Slope received the highest payment, at nearly $18 million. Other companies like BlueCrest Energy have halted or slowed production due to unpaid tax credits. BlueCrest received almost $9 million between 2016-2017, according to the report.last_img read more

Read More »

Swansea test available on Robins TV

first_imgLee Johnson’s side are looking to extend their unbeaten league run to seven matches, with an impressive four wins and two draws in their last six outings.The game is only available to international subscribers as per EFL Regulations. Click here to subscribe – £5 pay-per-view or £110 for an annual pass*.The fixture on Robins TV will include a multi-camera a feed, replays, graphics and co-commentary from a first-team squad member.Our audio commentary passes are available at £45 per season or £5 per month with dual commentary from BBC Radio Bristol.Match tickets are still on sale for fans able to get to Ashton Gate. Over 22,000 tickets have been sold to date.SECURE YOUR MATCH TICKET*Due to EFL broadcasting regulations, RobinsTV is not allowed to live stream FA Cup and Carabao Cup fixtures as well as matches chosen for Sky Sports or Overseas transmission.Match sponsor – Lancer Scottlast_img read more

Read More »

Batting fails again for struggling Red Force

first_imgBASSETERRE, St Kitts, CMC – Beleaguered Trinidad and Tobago Red Force struggled with the bat on the opening day of their sixth round contest against Leeward Islands Hurricanes here yesterday. Lying fifth in the six-team standings with just one win this season, Red Force failed to overcome their woes and finished the day on 161 for seven, following a delayed start at Warner Park which saw play start 1-½ hours late.Isaiah Rajah, in his first four-day appearance in two years, top-scored with 41 while Joshua DaSilva stroked 37 and veteran right-hander Jason Mohammed, 30.Fast bowler Jeremiah Louis spearheaded the attack with three for 32 while new-ball partner Sheno Berridge supported with two for 50. Bidding to turn their disastrous season around, Red Force suffered an early blow when they lost Jeremy Solozano for six with the score on seven in the sixth over of the day, steering Louis to gully where Montcin Hodge took a low catch.Left-hander Rajah then helped repair the damage, first by adding 33 for the second wicket with captain Yannick Ottley (12) and then by putting on a further 51 in a third wicket stand with Mohammed.All told, the 26-year-old Rajah faced 102 balls and struck four fours and a six before he was third out, caught low down by wicketkeeper Jahmar Hamilton diving to his left, off Berridge in the third over after tea. Ottley had earlier perished at the hands of seamer Nino Henry before the interval, slapping a rank long hop to cover.Mohammed faced 78 deliveries, counting two fours and sixes but failed to build on the start when he was bowled by Louis, offering no shot and losing his off stump.DaSilva then attempted to shepherd the middle order until he was the day’s final victim, drawn into a false stroke by Louis and taken behind by Hamilton.last_img read more

Read More »

Transfer Talk: Barton wants Holt, Davidson exit link

first_imgAnd Nadir Ciftci, linked with Motherwell after he was released by Celtic, has found a new club. He’s signed for Genclerbirligi who have just been relegated to the Turkish second tier. Joey Barton didn’t make much of an impression on Scottish football but it seems someone made a good impression on him.Jason Holt has missed Rangers’ pre-season trip to Spain in order to hold talks with Barton and Fleetwood Town and could be set for a switch down south.Rangers have already been busy making signings and the club’s recruitment chief Mark Allen has said that could continue right through until the end of August as players become available elsewhere and the Ibrox side clear out their squad. Michael O’Halloran left the club for Melbourne City over the weekend and others are expected to follow him through the exit door.St Johnstone have been quiet so far in the transfer window but they could be about to lose a key figure. Tommy Wright’s number two Callum Davidson is reportedly in line for a place on the backroom staff at Stoke City as they look to win promotion back to the Premier League.last_img read more

Read More »