DNA testing exonerates dead man in Florida woman’s murder 36 years later

first_imgJack Harold Jones (L) and Ronald Henry Stewart (R) in undated photos. (Arkansas Department of Corrections/Florida Department of Corrections) (FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla.) — Prosecutors in Florida are asking for a dead man’s murder conviction to be vacated after DNA testing showed he was wrongly convicted.The Broward State Attorney’s Office filed a motion to exonerate Ronald Stewart for the murder of Regina Harrison, it said in a statement released on Thursday. Harrison was killed on May 2, 1983, just two days after her 20th birthday. Stewart, who had previously been sentenced to three concurrent 50-year prison terms for other crimes, including rape and burglary, pled no contest to the murder and was subsequently sentenced to 50 years in prison, according to court records. Stewart died while incarcerated on Sept. 11, 2008.Ten years later, the reinvestigation into Harrison’s murder began when a written confession was handed over to law enforcement by the sister of Jack Harold Jones, a convicted murderer and rapist who was executed a year earlier by the state of Arkansas for the 1995 killing of Mary Phillips, 34.Jones’ sister said he had instructed her not to open the letter, which was written in 2006 or 2007, until one year after his execution.In the letter, a copy of which has been obtained by ABC News, Jones appears to confess to the murder of a young woman who meets the description of Harrison in detail.“I met her riding bikes,” the letter said. “We went to the beach, rode around down there, and came back up Sheridan and into the park. That’s where it happened.”The letter prompted the Broward Sheriff’s Office to run the DNA collected from Harrison’s body in the national DNA database. The test revealed the DNA collected from Harrison’s body originated not from Stewart but from Jones, according to the motion.DNA testing, which was not available in 1983 when Harrison was murdered, has exonerated more than 350 innocent people in the United States, according to the Innocence Project, an organization that uses DNA testing to help exonerate wrongly convicted people.“Ronald Stewart would not have been charged with murder if DNA testing had been available at the time and he would not have been prosecuted for the murder if DNA testing had been available at the time,” the Broward State Attorney’s Office statement reads.For Harrison’s family, though, the news of his wrongful conviction came too late and it has forced them to relive the pain of their lost loved one.“In a practical sense, this doesn’t affect anybody that’s alive today. We got two bad guys and they’re both dead,” brother Richard Harrison, 58, told ABC News. “Though Stewart didn’t murder my sister, that didn’t make him any less evil, and that doesn’t make Jones any less dead.”But Richard Harrison, who is an attorney in Florida, also said that he supports the state’s attorney’s effort to correct the record because it helps build trust with the community. He said that he has explained the news to his parents, both of whom are approaching 90 and have health issues. Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read More »

COMMENT = EU should stand firm in China WTO talks

first_imgTrade Commissioner Pascal Lamy has invested an enormous amount of time and energy in trying to persuade governments in developing countries that the World Trade Organisation can serve their interests and not just those of the world’s wealthiest nations. He has rightly argued that poorer countries stand to gain if the next talks examine the problems they face as a result of the deal struck in 1994 at the end of the Uruguay Round.A recent WTO report showed that developing countries are taking a bigger share of growing global trade flows worth 6 trillion euro a year, accounting for 27.5% in 1999 – the highest figure in 15 years. At next week’s meeting of the organisation’s general council, the world’s four biggest trading powers will seek to boost this figure even higher by signing up to an Union initiative to scrap tariffs and restrictions on virtually all imports from the 48 poorest nations. Yet it seems unlikely that this will be enough to rally support for a new round. In reality, it is hard to see what the rich countries could offer at this stage to get the developing world to throw its weight behind the launch of fresh talks. The consensus among trade negotiators is that there is little chance of launching a comprehensive round until a new US president takes office next year and is in a position to inject new energy into the process.In the meantime, the priority for the Union must be to secure a good trade deal with China. Despite the perception that Beijing is in no hurry to strike a deal because many of its industrial sectors remain uncompetitive, it does in fact have much to lose by wasting time. China knows that securing WTO entry would put an end to the annual shadow boxing with the US over whether to grant Beijing Most Favoured Nation status, which gives it vital trade concessions. WTO membership would also do much to buoy up confidence in the Chinese economy, forestalling a devaluation of the renminbi which could spark a new Asian economic crisis. In light of this, Lamy should continue to hold out for more concessions from the Chinese when he travels to Beijing next month. For as the Commissioner himself has stressed, “substance is more important than timing”.last_img read more

Read More »

It is possible to register “weekenders” in the eVisitor system without coming to the Tourist Board in person

first_imgGiven the increased tourist traffic in the category of taxpayers of owners of holiday homes or apartments (weekenders) and the frequent inquiries of tourist boards as well as weekenders themselves, the General Office of the Croatian Tourist Board has prepared additional clarifications that will help in the coming months. all with the aim of reducing the workload of tourist offices, staff of tourist boards and weekenders themselves. The instructions were published on the eVisitor website and were also submitted to the tourist board system.It is possible to register weekenders in the eVisitor system without a personal visit to the tourist board in such a way that taxpayers can submit to the tourist board all the necessary documents by mail, email or fax. We repeat, for the registration of the taxpayer in the system, an OIB and an identification document are required, and for the registration of the associated facility, the taxpayer is obliged to enclose one of the following documents: purchase contract, excerpt from the land register, decision on inheritance, decision on determining special tax on houses for a holiday, decision on legalization of an illegally constructed building, excerpt from the cadastre, proof that a request for legalization of an illegally constructed building has been submitted, collective records of competent authorities (eg records of taxpayers, records of taxpayers on holiday homes and apartments, etc. .).In addition to the mentioned possibility of submitting data by mail, email or fax, weekenders can register in person at the tourist board or they can do it for family members, friends, etc., with a certified power of attorney signed by the owner and notarized. Please note that the certification of the power of attorney is required solely to prevent misuse of access to personal data of taxpayers, or to prevent possible theft of personal identities of taxpayers by third parties.It is also possible to create user sub-accounts within the eVisitor system, so we recommend that weekenders, instead of handing over their access data for use to other persons, open sub-accounts for such persons. In this case, the person who has an open sub-account receives his access data that are different from the access data of the taxpayer, and it can be determined at any time who has undertaken what activity in the system.Additionally, all users of the eVisitor system are enabled to log in via the e-Citizens system (ie NIAS). The advantages of applying through the e-Citizens system are that the taxpayer does not need to come to the tourist board in person or use a username, password and TAN list, but accesses the system in the same way as the e-Citizens system.The instructions are published on the eVisitor website and are also submitted to the system of tourist boards, and are available at linklast_img read more

Read More »

Renters with a heart: Children with disabilities are offered free holidays throughout our beautiful country

first_imgA great tourist story that definitely restores faith in people. Namely, the group “Renters with a heart” was founded on Facebook, in which members give their accommodation free of charge to families of children with disabilities.The story began when Vjera Matulić from Postira on Brač founded a FB group with the aim of encouraging private accommodation renters across Croatia to offer their apartments for free to children with developmental problems for a few days, and in just a few days the group gathered over 2.000 members.The main goal of the group is to motivate the hosts in the family accommodation to set aside a few days to help children with developmental problems. “A few days in the summer we can all do it, no one will be impoverished, and we can afford a moment of peace and rest from worries for a needy family with sick children. The only rule is tolerance and a peaceful agreement, belittling anyone, will not be tolerated. Let’s show and prove that not everything is in sholds ” writes in the description of the group Renters with a heart.Each of the hosts in the family accommodation has a hole of a few days in the season, and we hereby invite you to join this commendable action to provide free accommodation to families with children with disabilities and provide them with free holidays.It costs you nothing, and you get a lot. Rather, not in money, but in love, and that is the most valuable thing. Good always comes back to good.You can join the Landlord Group with a heart herelast_img read more

Read More »

Spurs rally to keep Lakers winless with LeBron

first_imgLos Angeles Lakers guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (left) falls as San Antonio Spurs guard DeMar DeRozan drives toward the basket during their game Monday, Oct. 22 in Los Angeles. AP LOS ANGELES – LeBron James hit the tying 3-pointer late in regulation. He led a Lakers lineup of three second-year pros and a rookie making his NBA debut to a 142-136 lead with 55 seconds left overtime.James was then reminded in spectacular fashion that nothing will be easy in this West Coast chapter of his career.Patty Mills hit a go-ahead jumper with 6.8 seconds left and the San Antonio Spurs kept the Lakers winless with LeBron, rallying from a 6-point deficit in the final minute of OT for a wild 143-142 victory Monday night.James tied it on a magisterial 3 with 2.4 seconds left in regulation, and he finished his second Lakers home game with 32 points, 14 assists and eight rebounds. But the superstar missed two free throws with 12.8 seconds to play before Mills coolly put the Spurs ahead. James then missed a step-back 3-pointer at the buzzer, thoroughly deflating Staples Center as the Lakers fell to the first 0-3 start in James’ career since his second season with Cleveland in 2004-05.After cooling down, LeBron did not seem discouraged by the Lakers’ last-minute failure against a quality opponent – and while Los Angeles was missing suspended starters Rajon Rondo and Brandon Ingram.“It’s not” discouraging, James said.“I know what I got myself into,” he added. “It’s a process. I get it, and we’ll be fine. I didn’t come here thinking we were going to be blazing, storming right out of the gate. It’s a process, and I understand that.”LaMarcus Aldridge had 37 points and 10 rebounds, and DeMar DeRozan added 32 points and 14 assists before Mills made the biggest shot. The Australian guard did it while playing Tony Parker’s traditional role on a familiar San Antonio play.“It’s always good when you make shots or make an impact,” Mills said. “Other than that shot, it was a team victory. It was a gutsy win. Everyone participated.”Kyle Kuzma had 37 points and eight rebounds for the Lakers, and Josh Hart added 20 points and 10 rebounds.James’ dramatic 3 from a full step beyond the arc capped the Lakers’ improbable rally from an 8-point deficit in the final 1:04 of regulation. The Lakers then took a 142-136 lead late in overtime with huge contributions from unsung rookie big man Johnathan Williams, who played important minutes in his NBA debut after JaVale McGee fouled out.But the Lakers sputtered and the Spurs rallied. Rudy Gay’s 3-pointer cut the Lakers’ lead to 142-141, and James missed his free throws before the jumper by Mills, who had 12 points.“It’s always fun to play close games and have them be that type of atmosphere, and overly competitive,” Aldridge said. “It was nice to get a close win. It just builds character and makes guys be more confident.” (AP)last_img read more

Read More »

Penguins Ron Hainsey sidelined with upper-body injury

first_imgPhiladelphia Flyers’ Wayne Simmonds (17) scores a goal against Pittsburgh Penguins’ Matt Murray (30) as Brayden Schenn (10) and Ron Hainsey (65) watch during the second period of an NHL hockey game, Wednesday, March 15, 2017, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)PITTSBURGH (AP) — The depleted Pittsburgh Penguins defense has taken another hit. Coach Mike Sullivan says defenseman Ron Hainsey is week-to-week with an upper-body injury. The Penguins acquired the 35-year-old Hainsey just before the trade deadline. Hainsey has one assist in 10 games since joining Pittsburgh. The Penguins called up Derrick Pouliot from their AHL affiliate in Wilkes Barre/Scranton ahead of Friday night’s game against New Jersey to fill in for Hainsey.Pittsburgh is already missing injured defensemen Kris Letang, Olli Maatta and Trevor Daley, though all three are expected back by the playoffs.Sullivan said center Evgeni Malkin will sit out Friday with an upper-body injury. Sullivan added Malkin, who is fifth in the league in scoring with 72 points, had been dealing with the injury for some time.,The Penguins acquired the 35-year-old Hainsey just before the trade deadline. Hainsey has one assist in 10 games since joining Pittsburgh. The Penguins called up Derrick Pouliot from their AHL affiliate in Wilkes Barre/Scranton ahead of Friday night’s game against New Jersey to fill in for Hainsey.Pittsburgh is already missing injured defensemen Kris Letang, Olli Maatta and Trevor Daley, though all three are expected back by the playoffs.Sullivan said center Evgeni Malkin will sit out Friday with an upper-body injury. Sullivan added Malkin, who is fifth in the league in scoring with 72 points, had been dealing with the injury for some time.last_img read more

Read More »

Espanyol’s dismal home form continues with 4-2 defeat to Osasuna

first_img Upd. at 21:04 01/12/2019 The referee booked Víctor Sánchez from Espanyol, while for Osasuna Facundo Roncaglia, Rubén García and Jon Moncayola saw a yellow card and Facundo Roncaglia (2 yellow cards) saw the red card. CET For Espanyol Jonathan Calleri, Óscar Melendo and Pablo Piatti came on for Víctor Sánchez, Fernando Calero and Adrià Pedrosa, while Osasuna brought on Raúl Navas and Jon Moncayola to replace Adrián López and Nacho Vidal. Osasuna staggered past Espanyol in a 2-4 victory on Sunday at Rcde Stadium. Espanyol arrived with the intention of increasing their league score after a 1-1 draw against Getafe while Osasuna lost by a result of 1-2 in the previous match against Athletic. Following today’s result, Espanyol is 19th in the LaLiga table with 9 points from 15 matches, while Osasuna sits 8th with 22 points after 15 matches.center_img The second half started all good for Osasuna, thanks to a good early goal from Ezequiel Ávila in the 49th minute. Later, Osasuna scored again and increased their lead thanks to a goal from Jon Moncayola with the score 1-3. Later, Osasuna scored once more and increased their advantage thanks to a goal from Roberto Torres in the 90th minute with a final score 1-4. However, Espanyol just before the end of the second half hit back thanks to a goal from Jonathan Calleri in the 90th minute, which saw the second half to a 2-4. SPORT.es Good start of the game for Espanyol, with a goal from Marc Roca 20 minutes in the game. Osasuna gave an equalizer thanks to a goal from Rubén García in the 46th minute just before the end of the 45 minutes to establish the 1-1, and the first half ended 1-1. Espanyol will play against Real Madrid at away stadium, while Osasuna will face Sevilla at home stadium.last_img read more

Read More »